The clouds are beginning to lighten. They're not gone; rain still mists my vision at some point most days. Perhaps that is all I can ask for -- a temporary dispersement or rearrangement of the weight. I think my serious nature forbids any real lightening. I still dream of it, though, and occasionally I catch a shadow of what that life could be like. I did this weekend, and I did again today.
I had a fantastic weekend, full of shopping, laughing, relaxing, and reading. I told you about what I bought; I couldn't have been more excited to stumble across that old typewriter. To follow up that purchase with an afternoon at the Lawsons was more enjoyment than I would have dared to ask for. I spent the afternoon learning about dragons and fountain pens and books and all sorts of fun and obscure things. Later, we went outside and blew bubbles. I haven't done that in such a long time, although it's one of my favorite things to do. It makes me feel like a little girl; it brings me back to the time when I played dress-up and had a passion for ballet and stuffed animals. That feels so long ago now. Sometimes I just feel so hard and cynical, and to an extent, I am. I am a skeptical, practical, logical person. Sometimes I wish I wasn't like that, though. There's a part of me that longs to be young, innocent, and free. I think indulging that side of me through reading children's lit, or keeping a dollhouse in my room, or sitting on a stoop watching the sun set while blowing bubbles, has become more important to me. Someone once said to me, "I don't think you were ever a child." I don't know what context she meant it in, but part of me thinks she's right. Those memories of dress-up and dancing are so distant and weak that they sometimes feel like they never happened. I don't remember most of my childhood, so it occasionally feels as if I was always a grown-up. I guess my indulgence in childish activities is a way for me to try to reclaim what I've lost. Maybe whimsy is as much a part of me as gravity. I guess I'll see eventually if I can learn to embrace both of those.
In other news, I received official word today that my essay is being published for sure. They're sending me paperwork. :) ! I love the feeling of giddiness that washed over me when I read the e-mail. It's too bad that can't stay.

3 Comments:
Jennifer--I love what you have to say here about whimsy, and I agree with all my heart! Bubble blowing and playing dress-up is essential to living a Life as opposed to merely breathing, I wholeheartedly believe.
Never confuse what is childlike with what is childish. They are mutually incompatable. One will make your life sparkle with mystery, wonder, freedom and deep beauty. The other will merely make it miserable.
(The publishing news deserves its own comment.)
HUZZAH!!!!!!!
Guess if that giddy feeling won't stay, it'll just have to be repeated! :)
Oh Ford, I'm so happy for you! I told you your essay was great. I'm so glad good old Muriel Harris recognized it, too.
I'm also glad you had a good weekend. I'll try to call you on the weekend sometime...I'm working the next few nights until absurdly late hours (at least by the rest of the world's standards.)
Post a Comment
<< Home