Pure oddity ...
It's been a really interesting week so far, and it's only Tuesday afternoon. I can't wait to see what'll happen in the rest of it. I just thought I'd share a couple of the things that have made it so unusual. I'll move from the surreal to the painfully real.
First, the surreal.
I was at work earlier this afternoon, and it was, as it often is, a little dull. Even though it's somewhat busier because it's finals week, things are only ridiculously crazy if I help circulation. Fairly soon after I started, though, something extraordinarily bizarre happened. I was studying German (Ich liebe meinen Deutschkurs!), and one of my co-workers was checking books out right next to me. After she finished, the patron stood there for a split second, and I looked up. "Are you Jennifer?" she asked. I kind of mumbled, "Yes." (I didn't really recognize her.) "You're from MG, aren't you?" she said. At this point, I was a little more than slightly dumbfounded. I looked at her, said yes, again, and tried to figure out who she was. It didn't take me long. "Are you Alex?" I asked. And Alex it was. She told me she had seen me on campus a few times, but had never said anything. I can understand that. You see, I have not seen this girl since eighth grade! We went to middle school together. We weren't even friends. Alex was a prep, one of those perfect girls that you just kind of have to hate. I remember that she was one of the nicer ones, but still. Our social groups did not mix intentionally. I think the closest we got to spending time together came through Builder's Club, the middle school version of Key Club. After eighth grade, Alex's family moved to Springfield, and I haven't seen her since. I've thought about her; when I look through my eighth grade yearbook, I see her and wonder a bit. But holy smokes, I did not expect to see her ever again, much less have her recognize and approach me! She was really nice, too. (Even though it was a little awkward, I think.) She asked me how high school was and what I was studying. (When I said journalism she just kind of smiled and said, "I wondered." I guess the English thing leads to journalism a lot ...) She's studying occupational therapy here.
The entire situation was a little odd, but it reminded me why I shouldn't judge people. Perhaps she was mean in middle school, but perhaps I just pushed that behavior onto her memory. Whatever the case, I'm glad she approached me. I could have carried a negative memory of her for the rest of my life, even though it certainly seems wrong now.
On to bitter reality:
Last night was amazing. Claire and I cooked dinner for our friend Debbie, who is leaving in a couple of weeks to help plant a church in L.A. Claire and I had decided to do this a long time ago, and we planned out a grand menu. There was Mediterranean black bean soup (a mix I convinced Claire to buy when we went grocery shopping together :)), green bean casserole (which Claire and Debbie had planned to make all year), lemon rosemary chicken (even though you could barely taste the illicit rosemary, which I had plundered from an herb garden on campus), biscuits, and ice cream. Mmmmm. Dinner was so bittersweet. As we ate our food, I kept thinking that this was possibly the last time I'm going to see Debbie. It was a horrible thought, and I really, really hope it doesn't come true. I, for one, intend to stay in touch with her. It was easier saying goodbye to Claire, because I know I'll see her in January. But still, there was an air of sadness, I think. Of course, that was the dinner itself. We just sat around talking for almost four hours (!) afterwards. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. Oh, my goodness. I'm so glad that I have this memory of the three of us. Talking about boys, making fun of one another, talking about our past together, about what we're going to do ... It was great. It was really hard sometimes, but I am so glad we did it. I wish we'd done it a few times during the semester as well. I love those girls. I love my church. I don't thank God for them enough. I don't let them know how much I appreciate them enough. I have been blessed beyond belief. I could never in a million years have guessed that I would feel so understood by so many people (Okay, so it's like five. But you get the idea.), or that some of the most amazing women I have ever met actually care about what's going on in my life. God has been so gracious to me. I can't believe it. I don't know what I'll do next year, with the three women who were at the center of my path of faith leaving next year. I'll find a way; I just have to lean on those my age. All my mentors are leaving. :( I know it's for the best; none of them could stay here, and I suppose I don't really want them to if it means they'll be unhappy. I just want them to keep playing a role in my life. Those women are beautiful, and I hope that someday I can be even a hundredth of the woman of God that all three of them are. I will miss you all so much. You have no idea. But I know you'll bless others as you've blessed me. Good luck. Please don't lose touch with me.
And now, as a reward for making it through the sentimental drivel :-), enjoy a few pictures:



4 Comments:
Those pictures are great!
I definitely understand how rough it can be, to prepare to leave those who have served as mentors... I spent the last couple of weeks preparing to leave a mentor and friend, someone who really taught me I was worth being around. Based on the people I've met (and one I know pretty well =)) at your school/church, I'm sure your mentors and friends have had an equally powerful impact.
The cool thing is to realize that the next generation of mentors in our lives will be an even better fit for our lives at that point. Hard to believe, but pretty exciting. I hope the end of the semester goes well for you.
You are priceless!
Nice photos too.
Wonderful pics! I totally endorse goodgirlfriend down time. I'm glad you have had it this week.
Best wishes for the transition back home!
Teri
:)
my head in the second picture looks enormous. i suppose it's perspective, but nonetheless...i look like bigboy's sister minus the checkered overalls.
good times were had by all. i'll be keeping in touch, too, if anything to get some good dinner party chortles.
Post a Comment
<< Home