Telepathy
From time to time, an intense craving to understand everything about someone else develops within me. I see the same people day after day, but sometimes I feel as if I don't know them at all. I wish I could read their minds, find out what they really think about all day. I'd like to know what they think about other people; I'd like to know what they think about me, to be honest. It bothers me that I have no idea what other people's actions mean. Is that action a result of his personality, or does it belie his feelings about me? Is what he said directed at me specifically, or is it just a vague comment on society? As someone who likes to be a know-it-all, it drives me up the wall when I can't be. I think maybe that's part of the reason I avoid people occasionally. I do think I have a fairly good intuition, but, as someone equally ruled by logic, it scares me to live and make assumptions based only on intuition. I need evidence. Unfortunately, my heart sometimes takes my mind hostage, and I find myself reading into circumstances or people's actions frequently. That phrase means he hates me. But that one means he could be interested in me, doesn't it? I am continually conflicted. It's terrible. Mind-reading would solve everything. Of course, I'd probably hear what I didn't want to hear, and then I'd be brokenhearted. It's a difficult situation to be in. I guess what I want more than anything else is to stop thinking about the meaning behind things. I want to live my life without questioning people's motives. Sometimes I wish I could just live on autopilot, even though I fully realize that would be a terribly dull, monotonous existence. Nonetheless, it would have its perks, wouldn't it? No more internal debate. No more painful questions. Ah, the life I give up when I live. No, I suppose real life is much better, with all its glory and tragedy, passion and tears, love and heartache.

4 Comments:
Sometimes I like to simply tell myself that others are peasants.
It feels great.
Really.
This post made me both grin and flinch. My problem was never wanting to read other people's minds. It was worrying that they might be able to read mine. :)
Next time we get together, I'll be sure to wear my little tinfoil hat.
Oh, I do this all the time! I think it's caused...well, pretty much ALL the problems I have with a certain person at church (I think you know who I'm talking about.) It's hard because, when I hear something nice from this person, I so much enjoy going over it again and again in my head, each time inserting more hopeful, positive meaning into what started as pretty basic comments, and by the end I'm convinced that this person has an extremely high level of respect and deep caring for me. I always try to convince myself that this is harmless, but it comes around to bite me when I hear something even slightly negative (or that I read into as negative) and I spend hours bemoaning all my flaws and how I can never live up to this person's expectations of me - all based on one small (probably meaningless) comment. Essentially what I'm trying to say in way too many words: I understand exactly what you mean.
I've recently wondered if most people think like me; well, not LIKE me, but as much as me and as deeply/shallowly as me. Are most people's brains constantly whirring, asking questions about God, life, why things work the way they do? Most people MUST think many wonderful, complicated thoughts they are afraid to voice...right? How many people are just not talkers, but have a wealth of conversation topics obscured by mere inches of flesh and bone? It's incredibly isolating to wonder if most of the people I talk to only think as deeply as their conversation topics; it's as frightening to me as not knowing the motives behind what they say or do. Maybe that sounds snobby...I don't know...but it's something I've always wondered. I'm afraid of the things I cannot see and more afraid that the invisible things I expect to be there are not really there.
Post a Comment
<< Home