Wednesday, March 08, 2006

The interview ...

Before ...
Seriously, I was freaking out about it. Not only did my pulse speed up when I thought about it, but I also stammered and looked like a frightened little rabbit when I talked about it. I actually wanted to talk about my nervousness, but felt self-concious doing that, so I found a passive-aggressive way to do it: I asked people for fashion advice. I think I asked at least five people what I should wear. Now, five people may not sound like a lot, but when you take into account the number of people I talk to on a regular basis and the fact that I almost never (not even for prom) ask people for advice about clothing, it is. In case you're curious, I settled on a pair of black dress pants and a cream sweater with cable-knit strips running down it, and pulled my hair into a low bun (That's quite a feat, by the way. I have a lot of hair, and it never does what I want it to.). I've dubbed the sweater my "London sweater," because I bought it last week specifically because it's I think it's ideal for London -- not bulky, but still 50% wool, so it's warm.

After ...
Okay, I can breathe now. I think it went well. I had this picture of a board of men and women in suits staring me down from across a giant table. In reality, there was only one person, and I already knew her. I'd met with the study abroad advisor before applying, and she also conducted the interview, which helped tremendously. She made me really comfortable, and even told me she liked my hair. She just asked me why I decided on Westminster, if I planned on going anywhere else while I was there, what skills I had that would help me while abroad, and how I would handle any conflicts that arose. I really don't think my responses were that good, but apparently they were good enough. She essentially told me when it was over that I'd been accepted; I'm supposed to get a letter and confirmation e-mail next week! I found the weather today especially appropriate for receiving an unofficial okay: it's in the mid-50s, low 60s, overcast and drizzly. I expect London will be somewhat similar.

And now ...
LONDON!!! I can't believe I'm going to London!

9 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

Aaaah! I'm so happy for you!

Yeah, I thought it was funny when we had that long discussion about your fashion options Monday afternoon. I'm glad it all worked out, and I want to see your London sweater!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Hey, it wasn't that long!

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!! Congrats! I knew it was my hair advice. lol, that's so funny what claire said because when you asked me this morning how you should wear your hair i must admit i was taken aback:) so happy for you! - mags

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Fieldfleur said...

CongratuLATIONS! What exciting blogging material you shall encounter.:)

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Lucindyl said...

Huzzah for Jennifer!!!!

:::very happy and excited for you::: :)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger GrumpyTeacher1 said...

Woo hoo!

You are really funny, pricelessly so.

Congratulations.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Thanks to all of you for the advice earlier on. And what do you mean I'm funny?

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger GrumpyTeacher1 said...

I mean that I appreciate your wry self mockery in the face of your obvious quality. If anyone should get to study in London, you should.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger GrumpyTeacher1 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!