Monday, March 20, 2006

Happy spring!

For winter's rains and ruins are over,
And all the season of snows and sins;
The days dividing lover and lover,
The light that loses, the night that wins;
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten,
And in green underwood and cover
Blossom by blossom the spring begins.

-- Algernon Charles Swinburne, from "When the Hounds of Spring are on Winter's Traces"

The grass is spectacularly green today. It's deep and lush, and my bare feet are just itching to walk in it, to feel the tenderness of it. The daffodil leaves look just the same, and the daffodils themselves are gloriously bright; they look like shattered and shaped fragments of sunbeams. When I look more closely at the lawns, I spot some blue as well. Those tiny gingham-blue flowers that seem to be nameless are in bloom now, and it thrills me to see them, scattered like stars in the green grass. On the downside, all of this brilliant color is especially brilliant because the sky is miserably grey. The contrast is quite startling, actually. There is not a drop of color in the sky; it's completely possessed by a blanket of clouds. Even worse, the clouds are not impotent space-fillers; no, these have rain. And sleet, and supposedly snow. That's right. It's officially the first day of spring, and forecast is predicting snow. What is that?!

3 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger Claire Elizabeth said...

Is the weather different on the other side of campus where you live? Bare feet?! It's like 35 degrees! I know it wasn't pouring when you wrote this, like it is now...but I couldn't even stand bare feet in my apartment last night (it was so cold I slept with 2 pairs of socks on) much less outside. Ecch.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

No, I didn't say it was warm. I said the look of the grass made me want to walk through it barefoot, not the weather. Sorry; I guess that is kind of confusing.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Fieldfleur said...

"There is not a drop of color in the sky; it's completely possessed by a blanket of clouds. "

Love this line. Possessed seems like it.

Beautiful writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!