Bible mania ...
... or maybe not, as the case may be for me.
1. How many Bibles are in your home?
Two at my real house; I think there are three here, including my roommate's.
2. What rooms are they in?
Both of the ones at home are in my bedroom. I don't really think I need to answer that for the Bibles here.
3. What translations do you have?
One is NIV, one is KJV. My roommate's Bible is The Message, and the one she has for a class is NSRV with the Apocrypha.
4. Do you have a preference?
Not really. I grew up with the King James (Well, my grandma used the KJV, and that was about the extent of my exposure.), and I'm pretty loyal to that version if I want to do analysis of only one verse. There are some words included in the KJV that are not in other versions that seem to add a shade of meaning to a verse for me. If I'm reading for a general understanding of a section, I don't mind using a more modern translation. I do not, however, like paraphrase Bibles like The Message. They just seem to go too far and get too loose.
5. Nominate an interesting verse.
Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
-- Ephesians 6:1
As someone who didn't grow up in a Christian home, the "in the Lord" part intrigues me. It could be taken a couple of ways, but I interpret it to mean your spiritual leaders rather than your earthly parents. I do not think this gives kids license to disobey their birth (or adopted) parents, but it does take some of my burden away when my unsaved mom asks me to do something that goes against my Christian principles and I have to say no. Ephesians is one of my favorite books of the Bible, I think.
I decline to tag anyone, but if you're reading this and you want to do it, feel free.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home