Getting lost
When I turned the corner, I expected to find another left turn a few metres up the road, but there wasn't one. So I just kept walking, trying to take in everything around me -- the whitewashed townhouses, the cracked pavement with grass growing in it, the church behind a black painted fence. I guess I was trying to figure out where I was. I couldn't; there was no road sign, and still no left turn. More walking. Finally, I came across another road, turned left, and followed it until I came to another major road, one that I recognized. In walking, for who knows how long, and who knows how far, I had managed to come to a place I had passed on the bus before. This time, I got back on the bus and got off at the proper stop -- where I promptly got lost again. I had left two hours early to find the room I was thinking about renting, and I still got there 30 minutes late. By the time I finally arrived, they had rented to the room to someone else. "We would have called," she said, "but you don't have a phone."
Yes, I'm aware I don't have a phone. Yes, I'm aware of how inconvenient it is for everyone else. Yes, I know everyone thinks it's stupid and irresponsible of me not to have one.
That night was the first time I cried in London. I tried not to; I hate crying. But I couldn't help it. It seemed like this situation just kept replaying itself -- I'd get lost, something that was supposed to be there was gone, the strange city would rise up and swallow me. It was so terribly frustrating. "Surely there's something I can do," I thought. But there wasn't. I had no choice but to go out and wander the city by myself. A map wouldn't really keep me from getting lost. I was lost before I even arrived. It's strange how my situations have echoed my feelings, or maybe it's the other way around. Regardless, it's a striking parallel. I have felt so confused since I arrived. London's so big, and I can't help but wonder what I'm doing here sometimes. I just don't fit in like I thought I might. I am a stranger, the observer who is astonished over and over by the massiveness of the city. And that's okay, I guess. But it does lead to the feeling that I'm nothing more than a wanderer, aimlessly walking down the streets. Sometime soon, I think this feeling will diminish, but it's something I'll always associate with my trip.

4 Comments:
I'm confused and worried. Did you not find a place?
I'm so very sorry.
No, I did. This was the first place I tried to rent out. I guess I should have been more specific. It's just the feeling of being in over my head that's still lingering.
Rent, I mean. Not rent out. Obviously I don't have a house in London. :)
I'm glad to hear that you still have the room too. I'm sorry for the hard aspect of this. You are gutsy and tough, Jennifer, for what you've done so far.
As far as your posting goes, would it be inappropriate to say that it was so beautifully expressed?
Prayers for & admiration of you,
Teri
Post a Comment
<< Home