Untitled (A meeting with God)
Then Moses and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy elders of Israel ascended; and they saw the God of Israel: under His feet there was the likeness of a pavement of sapphire, like the very sky for purity. Yet he did not raise His hand against the leaders of the Israelites; they beheld God, and they ate and drank.
--Exodus 24:9-11
In a moment, the sky disappeared:
The opal atmosphere rolled aside,
Opening up to a view of absolute
Purity. The sight was stunning.
Even the lowest part of God, feet
Resting on sapphire, shone inimitably.
The sun paled in the sublime light;
The heavens? translucent blue, a veil
To protect the elders’ eyes from His
Blinding glory. Even this screened glimpse was
Enough to shock them into muteness.
They feasted with heads bowed in wonder,
Hearts burdened with the fear of the Lord.
***
As per Scott's request. I write a poem each week; this was the one I submitted this week.

2 Comments:
I really like the line breaks in that.
Wow.
Beautiful! I've been a negligent reader. I'm glad you're sharing these. Lovely gifts of words.
:)
Teri
Post a Comment
<< Home