A Solitary Exodus
The Lord went before them in a pillar of cloud by day, to guide them along the way, and in a pillar of fire by night, to give them light, that they might travel day and night. The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night did not depart from before the people.
--Exodus 13:21-22
I’ve been driving for days now, long enough
For the bruises to fade from my arm.
The corn fields and cow pastures
Of the Midwest are fading, replaced by craggy
Mountaintops and thin air. I didn't realize
How much I needed this new scenery.
When I was a little girl, my parents dressed me
Like a doll, combed my glossy hair, and sent me off
To Sunday school to learn morality every week.
I remember the stories: Adam and Eve,
Cain and Abel, David and Goliath. I remember
Hearing about the Israelites, too, how God came
Among them as a pillar of flame, and led them
like a beacon out of Egypt, to a promised land.
I would be glad of such a clear sign.
I, too, am fleeing from captivity.
But unlike the Israelites, I do not know
Where to go. Without Moses to guide me,
I drive aimlessly, using only neon motel lights
As my beacons, as my hope.
Labels: Bible, domestic abuse, Poetry

4 Comments:
Is this one of yours?
Yeah. If I don't attribute something, you can assume I wrote it. (Though it's possible for me to simply forget to give an author's name, I've had so much anti-plagiarism rhetoric thrown at me that I'm pretty much a stickler for attribution.)
Well, I like it.
I'm hoping for more, as it is convenient of course.
wow, girl, this is good stuff! forgive me, i'm just catching up on reading blogs...
keep writing!
Post a Comment
<< Home