Sunday, February 05, 2006

Weekend at the lake

I spent the weekend at Tan-Tar-A with my mom, where she was helping run the Midwest Grape Growers Conference (or something like that). It was actually quite nice, even though I slacked off of my homework way too much. I did a whole lot of nothing; went into Osage Beach with my mom on Saturday morning, got some free food, watched TV ... basically what I do when I go home. Today, though, was more interesting. We had breakfast with a co-worker of my mom's, who has done lots of traveling. We spent a good portion of our time talking about London -- his experiences there and my expectations. It was quite nice, even though I was reminded again that I should really stop talking about it like it's a certainty, because it's definitely not yet.
After breakfast, my mom ran into her old professor from SIU. That was interesting. He hasn't seen me since I was in fourth grade, and I'm not sure he would have recognized me if my mom hadn't introduced me. The funniest thing was that the first thing he asked me was if I still read like I used to. He told me he remembered me sitting out in the peach orchard with a book while they were picking. I don't really remember doing that, but I don't doubt that I did. It was quite nice, though, to have someone telling me that I look so grown up for once. That doesn't happen very often, and he was the only one that thought I looked my age. Or maybe it was just that he knew approximately how old I am now...
Everyone else seems to think I look younger than I am. I complain about this a lot, especially lately, but it's getting really annoying. Today, for the third time in a month, someone told me they thought I was 15 (okay, the other two times it was 14). That is so ridiculous! I'm almost 20! I don't want people to think I'm 14 years old. Do I really look that young? Is it the cheeks? Hair? My mom tells me it's because I act so timidly. The irony of all this is that I've always felt older than my age. I don't think I act younger than I am. I don't think I speak in a way that makes me seem young. I'm sure I'll appreciate all this when I'm 40 or so, but I want some instant gratification. Now!
Sorry about the outburst. It was a lovely weekend, despite the stress when I got back to the dorms. I had Chinese food, and my fortune had a grammatical error:
You have a reputation for being straight forward and honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!