Thursday, February 02, 2006

Humanity

"Life is pain."
True, and that's why I had such a struggle last semester. It's rearing its ugly head again. I hate seeing pain. I absolutely hate it. It makes me so angry to see others in pain. I just want to chase down whoever hurt them. I have never met anyone who deserves the hurt that they feel, and I just want to bear it for them, whoever they may be. I can't, though, and that doubles my misery at seeing them left devastated by whatever happened to them. There has to be something I can do. I don't want just want to be a comforter who says everything will be fine, because I don't believe that pain will ever disappear completely. This just seems to leave me completely helpless, and the person in pain. It is not enough to stand by and watch. I just don't know how to do anything else. It's such an incredibly frustrating, vicious cycle. Why does it seem there is nothing we can do about all the injustice in the world? Why is it that we so consistently ask questions, and yet can never come up with solutions that work? Sometimes I really hate being human.

2 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger Fieldfleur said...

awareness definitely has that edge to it that you describe. i wonder if you have the spiritual gift of compassion which even intensifies the focus of other's pain? kinda sounds so. i think it's definitely good for a journalist to have.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger BG said...

Jennifer,
I absolutely agree with you. It is absolutely miserable to see others hurt. Hurting ourselves is painful. But I think it is even more painful to sit on the sidelines and watch others hurt when you have no ability to do anything about it.

In a fairly recent situation in my life where I was in immense heartbreak over the deep pain of a friend, I was given this passage. I have continued to hold on to in during other very hopeless times. It reminds me that this isn't the way it's suppose to be...and this pain (both our pain and the pain of others) will not go on forever:

We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.
Romans 18:22-27, 18:18-20

Jennifer, I agree with fieldfleur. I believe you do have the spiritual gift of compassion and mercy. I have been told I have this gift as well. It can be a very painful gift to have. But, I believe it is also reflects the heart of our God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!